Outdoor Shade Canopy: Steel Specs
Steel Specifications(for standard units up to 1600 sq. ft)
The Steel Structure is designed to meet or exceed the requirements of the 2002 IBC Building Code. The Steel Structure is covered by a 10-year warranty against failure of the structure, a one-year paint warranty, and fabric is covered by a full 10-year warranty against significant fading, tearing, ripping and/or discoloration (red is covered by a 3-year fade warranty.)
|Wind Design Speed
The foundations are designed depending on specific soil conditions.
Concrete work is executed in strict accordance with the latest American Concrete Institute Building Code (ACI 318-99.)
28-Day Strength: 2500 psi
A. On existing concrete slab
Hilti Stainless Steel/SS with a minimum of 3 �” embedment. Epoxy anchor system used in accordance with ICBO #5193.
B. Cast in-place footings
Cast in-place anchors are A-36 steel.
All Reinforcement conforms to 60,000 psi ASTM A-42 Grade 60(excludes Super Spans and Tension Cable Structures). Reinforcement steel, if required, is designed, detailed, fabricated and placed in accordance with the latest ACI Detailing Manual (SP-66) and CRSI Manual of Standard Practice
All steel tubing is triple coated for rust protection using the in-line zinc electroplating, Allied Flo-Coat� process. Tubing is internally coated with zinc and organic coatings to prevent corrosion.
All structural steel plates are rust/corrosion treated by zinc electroplating. Steel tubing and plates are finished with a minimum of 2.5 to 3.5 MIL thick UV-inhibited weather resistant powder coat.
Where size of structure or determined loads require larger structural steel members or steel greater than 7 gauge thickness, carbon steel may be substituted. Cleaning and coating of carbon steel conforms to the following:
- A de-greasing agent is applied to remove surface oil and grease.
- An acid-phosphate wash be applied to etch and prepare the surface for powder-coating, where wall thickness requires pre-heating.
- Steel members are to be pre-heated prior to powder coat application to assure adhesion.
1. All carbon Structural Steel shall be ASTM A-36, except steel pipe columns, which shall be ASTM A-53, grade B, unless otherwise noted. Slip fittings are manufactured using drawn-over-mandrel steel with a minimum yield strength of 70 ksi and a minimum tensile strength of 80 ksi.
2. Steel telescoped sleeves do not have more than 1/16″ tolerance, with no less than 4″ overlap at all sleeves. All internal fittings are welded on one side.
3. Structural steel is detail, fabricated, and erected in accordance with AISC specifications.
4. All shop and field welding is executed by certified welders in accordance with the latest edition of the American Welding Society specifications.
5. Shop connections are welded unless noted otherwise. Field connections are separately indicated on all drawings.
6. All welds are performed using E70 electrodes or gas-metal arc welding using ER 7053 wire. All fillet welds are a minimum 3/16″ unless otherwise noted. All steel shall be welded shut at terminations to prevent internal leakage.
All hardware is first grade stainless steel. All bolt fittings include nylon washers for watertight seals at all joints.
Wire rope is �” nominal diameter, 7 strand, 19 wires per strand (minimum), with a miminum nominal tensile strength of 9,000 pounds. Wire rope shall be secured with appoved fittings and cable hardware, as per manufacturers’ specifications.
All erection bolts are ASTM A-307 grade B, treated to retard corrosion, or stainless steel.
* Custom steel colors and coastal primer for are available for an additional cost.