G = Green Initiative
As we create great playgrounds for children to play on today, we never lose sight of the importance of preserving the precious resources they and future generations will need in the future. Here are some ways we are living out our commitment to a sustainable future.
- ISO 14001 Certification. To achieve this vital certification, BCI Burke put an environmental system in place with specific policy commitments, which include complying with all environmental laws and regulations. ISO 14001 is the cornerstone of the groundbreaking series of standards set by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), and it is the only framework that provides for third-party certification.
- Recycled materials. From the steel tubes used in our playgrounds to the paper on which we print our catalogs, we maintain high standards for recycled content. For materials used in our playgrounds, our average recycled content is:Tubes - 65 percent
Sheet Steel - 55 percent
Steel Castings - 90 percentBecause we print approximately 56 tons of catalogs each year, it's important to make sure they contain recycled material. As a result, we have implemented standards requiring that our catalogs be printed using processes and products that meet the standards of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). Burke has also created an online Dynamic Digital Playground Catalog to decrease the amount of paper being used.
- Recycling. In addition to using recycled materials, we also have processes in place to ensure that we recycle materials we use. In 2009, we recycled 19 tons of HDPE (high-density polyethylene) and 179 tons of metal.
- Energy Conservation. We have invested in energy-efficient lighting that has reduced our total energy consumption by 16 percent. We are constantly assessing our energy use in our offices, manufacturing plant and transportation methods.
- Use of Renewable Energy. In addition to energy reduction practices, we are proud participants in the Alliant Energy Second Nature Program, under which we purchase enough energy from wind and other renewable sources to offset approximately 12 percent of our electrical usage - the annual environmental impact of reducing the greenhouse gas emissions from 7.9 vehicles or six homes a year. It also prevents the equivalent emissions from 4,891 gallons of gasoline from being consumed, which is equivalent of planting 9.8 acres of pine or fir forests. Fond du Lac County, where our factory is located, has five wind farms - more than any other in Wisconsin, which is itself a leader in harnessing the wind's power. By participating in this program, we are able to support further development of this clean, unlimited supply of energy. To find out more information on Alliant Energy's Second Nature Program please visit www.alliantenergy.com/secondnature.
- Use of Renewable Energy. We've also partnered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Green Power Partnership Program. Through this partnership, we meet specific goals for green energy use and report to the EPA on our usage each year. The program ties in with our focus to use and support the development of renewable energy. To find out more information on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Green Power Partnership Program please visit www.epa.gov/greenpower.
Cedar Ridge Wind Farm - Eden, WI
- PVC Compliance. All of our PVC is free of hazardous heavy materials such as lead. In addition, we have reduced the levels of phthalate plasticizers. Our PVC products comply fully with the California standards, which are the strictest in the nation.